Make box mix fancy for your next tea party or gathering with this zesty cake concept. The lemon on top is pretty and functional. Serve each person a slice of lemon with their cake so they can squeeze on as much extra flavor as they like.
This is a layer cake, which requires knowledge of layer cake decorating and some special tools. If you’ve never made a layer cake before, I highly recommend watching this tutorial. If you prefer, you can cut the ingredients in half and decorate a 9″x13″ rectangle cake.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 boxes of yellow or white cake mix and their corresponding ingredients*
- 4 cups buttercream frosting**
- 12oz package of fresh raspberries (use 6oz package if you’re cutting the recipe in half, but have extra raspberries available for decorating)
- 4 fresh lemons (use 3 lemons for a single batch)
- Wilton 1M decorating tip
- Wilton #10 or #12 decorating tip
- 2 pastry/cake decorating bags
If you don’t have these decorating tools, you can use a gallon-sized resealable bag with a hole cut in the corner.
- Bake the cake mixes according to instructions. I put mine in two greased/floured 8″ round pans.
- While the cake is baking, set aside raspberries for decorating (I used 10), then dump the rest into a large mixing bowl with 4 cups of buttercream frosting. Slice two lemons into 1/4″ thick slices and set aside for decorations, then juice the remaining lemons and pour 2-4 teaspoons of juice into the frosting, according to your taste. Beat the frosting ingredients together.
- Allow the cake to cool, then trim, layer, crumb coat and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Frost the cake, then use the 1M decorating tip and decorating bag to add about 10 swirls to the top of the cake. Put a raspberry on top of each swirl (see image of cake above).
- Use the #10 or #12 decorating tip to create a beaded edge along the bottom of the cake.
- Artistically stack the lemons on the center of the cake.
*You can also use a gluten free box cake mix. I like to add extra xanthum gum to my box mixes, even though they already come with some in them. One 0.32oz package of xanthum gum in double batch of gluten free cake mix will suffice.
**PERFECT BUTTERCREAM FROSTING DOUBLE BATCH (makes about 7 cups)
Read all directions first, ingredients are listed as they are used with instructions following
In a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment, add:
- 2 cups (4 sticks) softened butter
Beat 5 minutes on highest speed, then add:
- One 2lb package of powdered sugar, one cup at a time on low/medium speed
Beat 7 minutes on high speed, then add:
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1-3 Tbsps whipping cream, or more as needed to achieve desired consistency
Beat until blended.