Below is a quick and simple recipe for homemade jellied cranberry sauce. This year the Thanksgiving staple has been made in the kitchen, not grabbed from the supermarket shelf, to avoid high fructose corn syrup.
It’s important to use frozen cranberries since the skins of unfrozen cranberries do not blend well and create a hay-like texture (not enjoyable – believe me). Because the whole fruit is included (skin/pulp, not just juice) more nutrients will make it into the dish.
- 12 oz frozen Cranberries
- 1 cup 100% Orange Juice
- 3/8 cups Unrefined Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 4 Tbsps Unflavored Gelatin
- Pour the juice, sugar, gelatin and cranberries in a blender or food processor (juice first). Blend until the skins of the cranberries are small specks.
- Pour into medium sauce pan and heat on stove top at High, stirring often until mixture begins to boil. (It will deepen in color from pink to red).
- Allow to cool several minutes before pouring into container/s. Store in refrigerator for several hours until gelled.
Once gelled, serve and enjoy!