This almost homemade chocolate cake puts some bells and whistles on a box cake and includes a recipe for frosting.
- Box of gluten free chocolate cake mix, like Hogson Mills (and ingredients on the box)
- 2 cups Choco Chomps, or gluten free chocolate rice-crispy style cereal, plus extra to sprinkle on top of cake
- 1 cup allergy friendly chocolate chips, like Enjoy Life, plus extra to sprinkle on top of cake
– – – – – – – – – – – – –
- Mix box cake ingredients according to directions.
- Before baking, fold 2 cups of Choco Chomps and 1 cup of chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Bake according to box directions (by the time the cake is done baking, the Choco Chomps will dissolve into the cake, giving extra chocolate flavor).
- Let the cake cool off a bit. While it is still somewhat warm, pour ICING (recipe below) on top. The heat from the cake should slightly “melt” the icing, causing it to ooze down the edges and look like yummy chocolate sludge!
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips and Choco Chomps onto the sludgy icing.
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP ICING:
- 3 cups powdered sugar (I created my own using three cups of unrefined coconut sugar that I blended to dust using my Ninja – delish!!! – and more complex)
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup softened butter (or butter replacer)
- 6 Tbsps milk (I used unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix butter, 1 cup sugar, half the cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Once these ingredients are mixed well, add remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.