Camping, hiking, and the outdoor season is upon us. Get out there and have fun with this G-free chocolatey trail mix to keep your energy up. It was created to be gluten, dairy and soy-free with an emphasis on protein (NOT added sugars) while still providing plenty of carbs for energy. It is ideal for restrictive diets, food sensitivities and is ADHD-friendly.
I was able to find these tasty and healthy cereals in the gluten free section of a regular grocery store. The Choco Chomp adds a lot of flavor while being relatively low in added sugars for a chocolatey cereal. The flax cereal adds health benefits (such as Omega 3’s), along with good carbs, low added sugar and a decent amount of protein for a cereal. The rest of the ingredients are seeds and nuts to add more protein and healthy fats. Plus they’re tasty!!
• Bag of Bear River Valley Cereal Choco Chomp, 14 oz
• Box of Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax Cereal – Original, 10 oz
• 12 oz Sunflower Kernels*
• 10 oz Cashews* (buzzed in a blender to create smaller chunks)
• 16 oz Almonds* (also buzzed in a blender to create smaller chunks)
*Salted vs unsalted is a personal preference. I used salted sunflower kernels and cashews, the almonds were not salted. I feel the salt makes for a nice flavor but you may want to experiment and see.
• Mix all the ingredients together in a really large bowl. I actually used a wok.
• Scoop the mix into snack bags, 1 cup each.
Yeild: Almost 20 cups of trail mix, depending on how much you swipe while you’re making it 🙂